Divorce Order Modification & Enforcement

Child Support and College Expenses

Divorce Order Modification and Enforcement Attorneys

Just because you have signed divorce agreements regarding child custody, child support, alimony, and division of marital assets and debts, doesn’t mean your spouse will always follow the terms of those agreements. Additionally, those agreements are signed based on the circumstances of both parties at the time of the divorce. Many times those financial circumstances can change, and your support agreements or child custody agreements may no longer be accurate, or fair.

At Jacobs Berger, LLC, our attorneys have extensive experience helping clients to enforce and modify divorce orders. Our goal is to help our clients maintain the stability of their family life with their children and their finances, while simultaneously building the foundation for a prosperous and healthy future.

If you are concerned about the enforcement or modification of any aspect of your divorce settlement agreement, contact our firm today to discuss your unique situation and needs in a confidential case assessment.

Divorce Order Modification Lawyers

If you are seeking to modify a divorce order such as child custody, child support, or alimony, there are two different ways to obtain such a modification in New Jersey.

The first is by obtaining consent for your modification request from your former spouse. You and your attorney must first put the exact modifications you are requesting into writing, have that document signed by your former spouse, and then submit it to the court for approval. When it comes to matters related to your children such as child custody or child support, it is important to remember that these issues are decided according to the best interests of your children, so not every modification you and your spouse agree to may be ultimately acceptable to the courts.

If, for whatever reason, your former spouse will not consent with your modification request, you can file a motion with the courts to modify a divorce order. When doing so, the most important factor will be that of a “changed circumstance”. Changed circumstance is the legal term referring to a change which is permanent, and unforeseeable at the time of your divorce. Some of the most commonly sited changed circumstances when petitioning for a divorce order modification are:

  • Loss of employment
  • Gaining employment, or a promotion or raise obtained by one party
  • The remarriage or cohabitation of a party
  • A parent or child suffering from an illness or disability after the initial divorce agreement
  • Loss of a home
  • A change to the cost of living
  • A change to federal income tax law

Our attorneys can help you not only to demonstrate to the courts exactly circumstances have changed, but why those changes call for a modification of a divorce order as well.

For more information about modifying specific divorce orders, please view our pages regarding:

Divorce Order Enforcement Attorneys

Many times, compliance with an agreed-upon or court-ordered divorce judgement can become a source of contention. Divorced parties often rely upon financial support such as child support or spousal support to meet their financial obligations, and when that support isn’t paid, it can cause serious difficulties to the dependent party. Additionally, contentious relationships can often result in obstructions of an existing child custody and visitation agreement.

When this happens, the aggrieved party can file an application for enforcement of the specific divorce order in question with the courts. Depending on the matter at hand, courts and governmental institutions are given a broad variety of authorities and discretions for ensuring that the divorce order is complied with. For more specific information regarding the enforcement of divorce orders, please view our pages regarding:

Contact Our Morristown Divorce Order Modification and Enforcement Attorneys Today

At Jacobs Berger, LLC, our attorneys are focused on providing constructive and effective legal solutions for clients across New Jersey.

We understand just how important financial stability is to you and your children, and we are prepared to help you modify or enforce your divorce orders to reflect this importance. By listening closely to all of your needs and concerns, and keeping you highly informed and involved throughout the legal process, we believe we can work together to achieve the results you need in your unique legal situation.

To schedule a confidential Strategic Planning Session with our firm today regarding your specific divorce order modification or enforcement issue, please contact us online, or through our Morristown, NJ office at (973) 710-4366.